Thursday, May 13, 2010

For the Love of Hummingbirds

I am a very lucky volunteer. I've found my niche. Ruby-throated hummingbirds. I never tire of their antics. They eat, fight and nest all without much notice to most folks. Unless you have a garden full of flowers they prefer or a feeder. I have both. It took me years to attract hummingbirds and entice them to stay and breed. Like I said, I live in a metropolitan area.
That's not what makes me a lucky volunteer. I found that I love working with (or for) hummingbirds. I've been helping them out for quite a few years. I got my first two of the season yesterday. Both males. Both impact injuries. They probably hit windows (which is an issue I will address in the future). I am not much of a writer, but I am fortunate to work with such amazing creatures. Their will to survive surpasses any other creature I've seen. I guess you have to be tough to survive what they survive and be so very tiny. One of them died this evening. I was sad for a moment, and then I remembered what a privilege it is to work with and learn from these most tiny and determined birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment