Monday, May 10, 2010

Images of a Disaster

I bought a newspaper today. I only do so when I go out shopping. It gave little coverage of the environmental catastrophe that is taking place in the Gulf of Mexico. At least I didn't think so. They did, however, show a photo of an oil soaked bird struggling up against a ship. Not very nice. Don't get me wrong. I have no desire to see oil soaked birds, or anything else for that matter. What I do want to see is comprehensive coverage of the events taking place. Do hairdressers know that human hair is used to soak up oil? They stuff it into nylon stockings. Dog hair, too. Old fur coats. I thought about shaving my head until I realized that my pitifully thin hair won't make a difference. All those salons that throw out the hair at the end of the day will. That's what I want to see in the paper. That oil soaked bird in the photo represents thousands of creatures at risk or already affected. Don't feel sorry for it for too long. Call your hair salon and tell them to donate all that hair they sweep up! Dog groomers, too! All that oily goop has to go somewhere. Let's at least get it out of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment